Re: snippet: jump to compilation output errors from shell mode

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: snippet: jump to compilation output errors from shell mode
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:56:28 -0600

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:43:59 -0800 (PST) Rob Giardina <address@hidden> wrote:

RG> This is helpful when working with any sort of compiler output from the
RG> shell (mostly because the compilation mode is great at parsing error
RG> messages). I no longer use compile commands from emacs but instead run
RG> them from the shell and slurp up the output with this function. It
RG> even works on long log messages with well formatted error line
RG> numbers.

RG> It operates on the output of the last command.

... omit fake compilation buffer output to use next-error synthetically ...

If you look at the way next-error operates, it just binds functions as
needed in each mode that supports it.  So your code could just bind the
appropriate compilation-mode functions to go to the next/previous
compilation error; doing it in shell-mode should not have any major
consequences because it does not support next-error already AFAIK.

Ted