Re: company 0.4 -- extensible inline text completion mechanism

From: Bo Lin
Subject: Re: company 0.4 -- extensible inline text completion mechanism
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 16:26:10 +0800

Nikolaj Schumacher <address@hidden> writes:

> Completions from multiple back-ends can now be merged.  For example, it
> is possible to combine the candidates from etags (for global symbols),
> dabbrev (for local variables) and language-specific keywords.

Here's a little feature request. Instead of merging completions from
multiple back-ends, can you provide a command
'company-try-next-backend', which basically discards all the current
completion candidates and pass control on to the next back-end in the
list? Ideally the back-end list could be treated like a circular ring,
cycling back to the first one when falling off the end.

An example. Say I bind M-/ to company-manual-begin, and
company-backends is '(A B). I press M-/ to request completion, and get
a list of candidates from A. Now currently (correct me if I'm wrong) if
A decides it can handle it then B will never be tried. With my proposed
'company-try-next-backend', which I will bind to M-/ in
company-active-map, then I can press M-/ again to discard everything
from A and get a list of candidates from B.

Thanks,
Bo