DMCA, libraries, big publishers, etc

From: Tuomas Pellonpera
Subject: DMCA, libraries, big publishers, etc
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:00:16 +0300 (EET DST)

I hope this is not off-topic. Anyway, I am writing an article on free
software and DMCA. I would like to tell to the readers that the philosophy
that wants to take away our freedom to use software may also want to take
away our right to borrow books from libraries.

I remember reading SOMEWHERE that big publishers would like to change
libraries so that, instead of lending books, they would be renting (for a
fee) books to their "customers."

IF my memory does not fail me here and IF this is really happening, could
someone please point me to webpages that would give a more detailed
information on this issue? I would appreciate that very much.

Yours,
Tuomas
--
Tuomas Pellonpera