Theory: GNU and copyright

From: sjhs
Subject: Theory: GNU and copyright
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 03:55:51 +0000

The GPL seems more and more like an excuse for not challenging
copyright laws directly.  This will in the end hurt the free software
cause because it will legitimize the copyright system.  Instead of
transforming attitudes about copyright, we are only creating battles
between those who should be allies in advancing programming.  Free
software cannot win if it follows the rules of proprietary software.
It must transcend copyright if it is to achieve its goal.  I believe
free software must de-emphasize the importance of legal technicalities
and instead reinforce the attitude that programming is not a business
but a science.