Re: Is this circumvention of the GPL?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is this circumvention of the GPL?
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:19:17 -0600 (MDT)

    Debian includes vcg as package. We should just ask mr
    Sander to provide the source code for the package
    really nicely. Otherwise I will try and deuglify the
    source sometime...

Based on which version of VCG?  Based on the info posted
in this discussion, version 1.0 was properly released
under the GPL but version 1.3 was not.

    But we can still make modifications to most of the
    code and make it better, just the layout code is
    missing. The layout code is still the kernel of the
    program, but cosmetic changes can still be made.

I am completely lost now.  Why is the layout code missing?
Which version of VCG are you talking about now?