Re: Is this circumvention of the GPL?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is this circumvention of the GPL?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:22:58 -0600 (MDT)

    The debian distribution has the uglified code 1.3 as
    part of the distribution because it was shown that
    code
    could be extracted out with lots of work.

I am not quite sure what that means.  Which code could be
extracted out with lots of work?

If only the uglified code of 1.3 is available, then there is no way to
redistribute it under the terms of the GPL, and in fact no way you can
legally distribute it at all.

If you can in a reasonable sense extract real source code,
that would solve the problem.  So I would like to understand
exactly what you meant by "code could be extracted out".