Re: Possible GPL violation?

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: Possible GPL violation?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:17:06 +0200

[Cc'ed to gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org from gcc@gcc.gnu.org]

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:02:55PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > > Please see the web page
> > >
> > > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html
>
> Fredrik Persson writes:

[lost context - fp seems to have tried to get source to a GCC derivative]

> > I've done that. The FSF "GPL violation dept." (or whatever it may be
> > called)
> > had been in contact with these guys before and they (OpenTV) were not very
> > cooperative. They've promised to work with me if the situation doesn't
> > improve.

Previous attention by the FSF police notwithstanding, XYZZY Inc. is not
obliged to give you the source if it didn't already give you binaries.  I.e.
the GPL does not *require* you to distribute to anyone.  Just that when you
do, it specifies how and how much.

> > I'm thinking; don't get mad, get even. I may put this stuff on
> > sourceforge if I get it.

Hasn't Eben Moglen been hinting that he might like the idea of finally
"proving" the GPL in court?  A repeat offender wouldn't get much sympathy,
I imagine...

> > Or... emailing it to the gcc core team may be a better idea.
>
> Sorry, we can't add anything to GCC without an assignment from its
> copyright holder; you may as well save the bandwidth.

Not even in contrib/ ?

--
berndfoobar@users.sourceforge.net is probably better to bookmark than any
employer-specific email address I may have appearing in the headers.