gpl licensing

From: Peppo Herney
Subject: gpl licensing
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:01:24 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

My company would like to use a product under the gpl license (namely
swish-e), but they want to sell and not make the whole source code open. In
the FAQ
I read that it is possible to use gpl software only when makeing the rest
gpl
too. The question:
Is it possible to have a "subproduct" open source, which also makes sense as
a stand alone, and then use this product for our purpuses?
Who judges this?
It was hard for me to find exact information, about how such things are
handled practicly.

best regards
peppo herney