Current state of SCO gnu tools

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain
Subject: Current state of SCO gnu tools
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:58:04 -0400

FYI,

Here's some messages from Kean Johnston of SCO describing the current
state of the gnu toolchain on SCO.

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2003-05/msg00124.html
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2003-05/msg00126.html

SCO is still using gcc 2.95.3 with dwarf-1.  If the FSF desupports SCO
operating systems starting with gcc 3.3.1 or gcc 3.3.2 and gdb 6.0,
they will have a harder time transitioning to a gcc 3.x compiler.

Imagine what SCO would look like with no current gcc, gdb, X window
system, perl, apache.  They would look more like an IP litigation
company, less like an operating systems vendor.  That would reduce the
effectiveness of their PR attack.

Listen to the Q&A from Steve Shankland of CNET on the conference call of
2003-07-21 (it's question #12 in the Q&A).

  Shankland: "It seems to me you're beginning to turn into an IP shop
  ... would you agree with that?"

  McBride: [pauses for several seconds] "The product that has been
  damaged here is UnixWare ... we're just getting recourse for
  UnixWare.  ... We have 330 employees, majority on the product side."

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"