1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)

From: derelict
Subject: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)
Date: 28 Apr 2004 04:42:11 +0200

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:33:58 -0700, theodp wrote:

> Not to be outdone by Amazon's 1-Click patent, Microsoft snagged a
> patent from the USPTO Tuesday for a 'Time based hardware button for
> application launch', which covers causing different actions to occur
> depending upon whether a button is pressed for a short period of time,
> a long period of time, or multiple times within a short period of
> time. So does pressing car radio buttons for different periods of time
> to change or set stations constitute patent infringement?

I've been thinking a lot lately about these new 3D screens that are just
hitting the market. Under the current system, someone could patent all
the ways 3D might be used in a GUI. Seems to me that it would be a
really, really good idea to set up an OSS group to think up all the ways
a 3D display would be used and then create a "prior art" project that
uses them, just to keep the concepts from being locked up by some greedy
SOB.