Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers

From: Klaus von der Heyde
Subject: Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:10:40 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> darkred@myway.com (Snuffelluffogus) writes:
>>
>> Wrong. These workers are one tenth the cost and therefore there is
>> ample money left over to redo bad work.
>
> Well, then the job is not screwed up but done after all.

Outside the software "industry", customers do not buy incomplete or
not operational products, and they do not like to wait for you
to fix the problems. They just buy what is available from someone
else. From t-shirts to tv-sets, physical products are almost always
somewhat compatible and can be replaced easily with something
similar. There is no monopoly lock-in.

> So the solution is to close the loopholes if those companies situated
> in the USA and selling in the USA don't pay taxes there.

A company's hq can be transfered in another country, too. Some
countries are quite happy in not taxing companies to attract
investors[0]. And it is the consumer who pays the value-added tax
for sold products in the end.

[0] Imho, no financial aid for improving infrastructure or education
   should be sent to governments doing so.

> I don't see why it is unethical to prefer to pay humans that do the
> work simply because they are living in a different country.

As far as Free Software is concerned: remember that software,
especially with a Free license, is quite different from physical
products in its design, production, distribution and customization
process.

Klaus