Re: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:34:07 +0000 (UTC)

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

>In article <878ygelmtd.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org>,
> Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

>> > I doubt anyone thinks that when they click on a link in a browser and it
>> > goes to another page or submits a form that this is "launching an
>> > application".
>>
>> Are web-based email services applications?

>Possibly.  But the individual operations within the email service aren't.

>BTW, rather than harping on the phrase "open the application", I'm more
>concerned about "limited resource computing device"....

I'm concerned about both.  These are all very vague terms with
potentially unlimited domains of use -- the sort of terms that are ideal
for use in defining the claims in a patent.

But unlike me, you seemd to imply, several times, that "open" and
"application" had obvious common meanings -- which meanings you have yet
to state with any prevision.
--
Rahul