Re: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: 1-Click, Short-Click, Long-Click, More-Clicks (New Microsoft Patent)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:00:08 -0400

In article <uoepao48q.fsf@news.dtpq.com>,
 cstacy@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) wrote:

>  Barry> In article <878ygelmtd.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org>,
>  Barry>  Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>  >> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>  >>
>  >> > In article <c6piil$tj1$1@blue.rahul.net>,
>  >> >  c.c.eiftj@1-ClickXXS.usenet.us.com (Rahul Dhesi) wrote:
>  >> >
>  >> >> Most Microsoft users use "open" to mean "whatever happens after I
>  >> >> click".
>  >> >
>  >> > I doubt anyone thinks that when they click on a link in a browser and
>  >> > it
>  >> > goes to another page or submits a form that this is "launching an
>  >> > application".
>  >>
>  >> Are web-based email services applications?
>
>  Barry> Possibly.  But the individual operations within the email service
>  aren't.
>
>  Barry> BTW, rather than harping on the phrase "open the application", I'm
>  more
>  Barry> concerned about "limited resource computing device".  This is used in
>  Barry> just about every claim, but I'm not sure what it means.  The
>  Description
>  Barry> refers to PDAs, and explains that the reason this method is needed is
>  Barry> make up for the lack of a keyboard
>
> I've never seen a PDA with a mouse, though.  Or, what means it, to "click"?

I don't think the patent ever uses the word "click".  In the
Description, it describes pressing a screen button with a stylus -- I
think most PDAs have that.  The claims use a more generic phrase that I
don't remember, to refer to choosing an on-screen button or icon.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA