Paid trolls (Was: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters)

From: Antonios Christofides
Subject: Paid trolls (Was: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters)
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:10:03 -0000

Reinhard Mueller wrote:
> >    a) too blind by rage of unemployment
> >    b) payed to act like this
> >    c) gratuitously engaging a malevolent agenda
> >    d) plain stupid
>
>  I would rather believe it's b), because that's the only logical reason
>  for neither telling his real name nor his employer, and using an
>  (AFAICT) anonymous method of posting.

OK, but what would they gain from trolling? Create FUD? What kind of
company would use such means? Large companies as part of a strategy to
create FUD about free software, perhaps? It sounds a bit far-fetched to
me, that's why I'm asking.

If FUD is what they are trying to accomplish, I wonder what would be the
correct way of replying. I mean, the discussion with the troll is
probably hopeless with respect to convincing the troll that they're
wrong, but could a good to-the-point reply be useful for the sake of
other people watching?