Re: Paid trolls (Was: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters)

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: Paid trolls (Was: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters)
Date: 03 May 2004 23:13:22 +0200

Am Mo, 2004-05-03 um 19.10 schrieb Antonios Christofides:
> OK, but what would they gain from trolling? Create FUD? What kind of
> company would use such means? Large companies as part of a strategy to
> create FUD about free software, perhaps? It sounds a bit far-fetched to
> me, that's why I'm asking.

Of course I do not *know*, but it was the most logical explanation to
me. Maybe a year ago, you wouldn't have imagined that a company would
pay another company to make (unproven) claims of copyright violations in
a well-known piece of free software, just to generate FUD.

> If FUD is what they are trying to accomplish, I wonder what would be the
> correct way of replying. I mean, the discussion with the troll is
> probably hopeless with respect to convincing the troll that they're
> wrong, but could a good to-the-point reply be useful for the sake of
> other people watching?

You can neither convince nor disprove a troll. You can only hope that
others recognize him as troll, too.

Reinhard