Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: FSF : lackeys of their corporate masters
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:25:25 +0200

darkred@myway.com (Snuffelluffogus) writes:

> It is a rare phenomenon,

You are, again, confusing your prejudices with facts.

An EU sponsored survey showed that about half of the free software
developers were paid to write free software. That number isn't worth
much, but more interesting was that while most of these people write
the software in order to perform their primary job, but for a
significant fraction it was their primary job.

The other groups were students, who write free software to learn, and
hobbyists who write free software because it is fun.  Most of the free
software being used does come from those who are writing it as part of
their job.

> and you aren't specifying who these people work for,

Everyone who needs software.  That is, everyone.  A free software
license makes most economic sense for most developing projects.

> so I suspect that if these people exist,

We certainly do exists.

> their employers are precisely the companies that
> outsource/offshoring good jobs to poor countries.

Some do.  Some of these free software jobs even *is* the "good jobs in
the poor countries".  Sun hired an Indian company to help develop
Gnome, thus doing two great things with one deed.