Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:50:02 +0100

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 12:14 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
> The part about fast switching between users has been in MacOS for a
> couple of years, but I don't think Unix has it at all (su changes the
> userid, but it doesn't bring up the new user's desktop environment).

At least in GNU/Linux you can go to console and type:

   startx -- :1

GUI's could be done to simplyfy this job, namely detecting existing
graphical consoles, but it's really a trivial job (just not very
exciting).

Also, there's Xnest, which can launch a new graphical session _inside_
the current one.

Rui