Re: defensive publishing for medical ideas?

From: Martin Dickopp
Subject: Re: defensive publishing for medical ideas?
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:59:09 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.4292.1084179819.1061.gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org>,
>  amylaar@spamcop.net (Joern Rennecke) wrote:
>
>> I've got an idea for a mediacal procedure.  It's one of those things that
>> are obvious once you put all the pieces together, put with a huge potential.
>> I think it would be immoral to put a premium on its use, so it shoudn't be
>> patented.  But undoubtedly some will try to.
>> Where is the best place for defensive publication of such ideas?
>
> I would guess a well-known medical journal would be the best place.

As far as patentability is concerned, it doesn't matter how well-known
the journal is.  The only thing that counts is if the idea has been
published at all.

I don't know about medical journals, but in my own field of research,
publication in the best-known journals usually takes several months, and
of course the journal might always reject the publication.  So if the
OP's goal is quick action, deliberately choosing a lesser known journal
might indeed be preferable.

Martin