Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch

From: Amused
Subject: Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 02:17:24 -0700

theodp wrote:

> Bill Gates is the assignee of a patent issued Tuesday for a 'Method
> and system for generating a user interface for distributed devices'
> [1], which can be used to control lighting systems, heating systems,
> elevators, and various electronic systems (e.g., monitors, cameras,
> and CD players) in a large environment, such as a large building, a
> factory, or a large house.
>
> [1] http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=6,734,879

www.x10.com has been building devices and interfaces since 1977.

In fact, they have a pop-up window that seems to hint at a hate of M$ too,
so I suspect there is a bit of "bad blood" involved there too.

If you search the internet for x10 software, there is software that runs
under DOS, OS/2, Windows and even Linux.

In terms of "large environments" such as building automation, there are
companies already geared towards that segment using several methods
(including the x10 protocol above) and other protocols varying from
hard-wired to signals over powerlines, coax, or several other RS232, RSxxx
methods.