Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: The patent process [Was Re: Sharing the Family PC is Patent-Pending]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:40:18 -0400

In article <Xns94E84CF968AC6elektrosmdonet@130.133.1.4>,
 Alun <elektros@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't say every programme. If you are doing something that you think
> may be patented then it may be a good idea to get advice, but the vast
> majority of software doesn't rise to that level.

Isn't that the crux of the problem?  We hear about these patents, and
say to ourselves "I can't believe someone patented THAT!".  Those of us
who aren't into building patent portfolios have a relatively strict
criteria for what we think might be patented, but patent-hoarders and
patent examiners obviously have a much lower threshold.  So we're likely
to be very wrong in estimating whether what we're doing rises to that
level.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA