Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch

From: Cargill
Subject: Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:16:56 GMT

Martha H Adams wrote:

> More truth up this thread.  Yes, a patent can be bad because prior art
> got there first.  Or because it's so broad it's meaningless.  However.
> Imagine you're an independent programmer or the owner and operator of
> a small business that does $100K or $1 megabuck business per year.

patents were designed to encourage innovation by protecting the inventor.

now they have been subverted by entrenched powers to block invention by
letting them put a claim to everything under god's green earth.

> (Side point: most innovation comes from such small people and
> businesses.)

So dwarves are responsible for advanced technology?  I always knew!

> Now imagine Microsoft with all its Washington connections not to
> mention a $50 billion warchest and a bevy of experienced committed
> lawyers sends you a nastygram.

How about a bevy of sexy barber chics at Super Cuts ?

> Now you tell me, however right your position might be, does a little
> detail like in-the-right make any difference at all who wins

Might makes right!  Semolina makes pasta!  It's all a vast conspiracy!

> Assuming anyone can sort it out from the expectable mountain of
> verbage?

I think we need to move ahead on that waste dump in Nevada so we have
someplace to put our verbage in the years ahead.

--
Linux linux 2.4.21-215-athlon #1 Tue Apr 27 00:53:38 UTC 2004 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux