Re: When Will GNU/Linux Be Ready for Joe User?

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: When Will GNU/Linux Be Ready for Joe User?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:05:07 +0200

On 18 May 2004 18:43:49 -0700
some_spare_id@yahoo.com (Simon) wrote:

> I'm doing a survey.
>
> When do you think GNU/Linux will be ready for the average Joe?

I'm assuming you talk about the average Jane who does some
emailing, web surfing, and light office work.

> What obstacles must it overcome first?

There exist distributions that can be used by anyone who can
use Windows. One example is Sun's Java Desktop (based on SuSE).
There are many others, like Xandros.

Like Windows, it should come pre-installed on the computer
(or be installed by someone with a bit of a clue). And
like Windows, the number of pre-installed applications
should be severly curtailed, such as not to confuse the
average Joe. For example, if Evolution is installed, the
mail component should be removed from Mozilla.

Those are the only obstacles that need to be overcome.

--
Stefaan