Re: Why Don't 'We' Talk about XML ???

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: Why Don't 'We' Talk about XML ???
Date: 19 May 2004 22:52:31 GMT

The world rejoiced as Seeking Twine <any@twine.for.me> wrote:
> Having been immersed in the wonder of c# and XML the past few days --
> I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- at the low level of /mindshare/ when it
> comes to XML in the Linux Community.
>
> XML is so much the man !
>
> And yet, I rarely hear it as part of any of the various Linux
> *architectures*
>
> Why not?

It's used quite heavily in the GNOME and KDE "architectures," in the
application layer.  It is used quite widely in applications.

> What is it about Advocates that make them fear XML ?

I have no idea.

> XML is data, interface and explanation all in one !

So the theory goes.  It is also fair to regard it as a dumbed-down,
more-redundant, less-readable alternative to Lisp S-expressions.

> XML is the answer to so many data issues.

It is also the cause of many data issues, when people blindly try to
hammer data into XML form.

> XML is the original /Open/ source technology -- it is human-readable
> and self explanatory -- it is the open source of data -- unlike the
> obscurities and arcanitude of the DBMS.

XML is easy to make every bit as obscure as any technology you'd
regard as arcane.  It is NOT an answer to problems better solved using
an RDBMS.

> XML is Open Source.

Have you looked at the opaque set of standards?  I was a technical
reviewer on a [horrid] book on Web Services Security, which actually
amounted to a presentation of a bunch of "planned standards"
surrounding XML 'security.'  XML is NOT 'Open Source;' it usually
isn't even implemented correctly.

And by the time IBM, Microsoft, and such get through with adding
'standards' to add the functionality that is missing, they'll have
bloated things that are much more verbose, slow, bloated, and such
than the things they tried to replace.

--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/