Re: Linux is SHIT

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Linux is SHIT
Date: 24 May 2004 21:42:50 +0200

"Barak Zalstein" <no_spam@please.not> writes:

> Installing Linux is not the problem. And working with it for the proper task
> is straightforward as well.
> So let's talk about home usage:
> I've only tried so far RedHat, SuSE, Knoppix, (all 3 quite late versions)
> and Debian Sarge Beta 3 (never again).
> The problem is what do you do when you find out that your hardware is
> unrecognized,

Well, check that before.  You had the same problem whenever Windows
changed (from 3.1 to 95, from 95 to 98 in some degree, from 95 to NT,
from NT to whatever), yet people did not stop computing because of
that, but got themselves different hardware or catered in other ways.

> or that the web site that you visit requires Explorer

Visit another.  Complain.  And so on.  Given its lousy standard
compliance, there are more than enough sites that fail with Microsoft
Explorer.

> There is always a windows task that you can't do on Linux and vice
> versa.

Depends on the applications.

> Those who enjoy hacking as a hobby, or are being paid to create a
> better distro, may want to fix those things.

Where do you see Windows programmers fixing Internet Explorer?

> OTOH, I don't see programming as a quality activity for my spare
> time, so even though I know that as much as Windows is buggy, full
> of viruses, and of course comes with the wrong licence,

The "wrong" licence?  Understatement of the year.  To wit: Microsoft
requires your version of Windows to register online.  They reserve the
right to "update" your Windows installation remotely in case they find
a way from stopping you to copy DVDs (for example) in future.  They
reserve the right to remotely controlledly fiddle with your software.
If they break your hardware or systems while goofing around, they are
not to be held accountable for damages.

In short: they can _legally_ send viruses to you without your consent
or prior consultation, crashing your computers and destroying your
hardware, without paying a dime of damages.  If you are as desperate
as to use Windows XP.

That's not a licence.  That's insanity.  Have you actually read
through that abomination from the beginning to the end?

> it still makes more sense as a computing experience.

Beg to differ.  Windows sucks even disregarding its licence and
closed source nature.

> Windows is certainly not BMW, but at least everything works out of
> the box.

That's why there is demand for MCSEs all over the map trying to fix
stuff.  That's why a typical fulltime system administrator can either
cater for about 15 Windows boxen or for about 200 heterogenous
Unix/Linux systems.