Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:47:13 -0400

In article <x5oeobyq04.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <x5u0y3yt3x.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> > wrote:

> > > Which was the only way to get binaries for GPL programs at one time.
> > > What point am I missing?
> >
> > They were typically distributed as source code, not pre-linked
> > executables.
>
> Come off it.  Of _course_ for example the GNU utilities for
> DOS/Windows were distributed as binaries as well as source code.  And
> as binaries that would need proprietary static libraries to link with
> if you wanted to compile them, and proprietary compilers.

I wasn't talking about DOS/Windows.  I was talking about the period
before the GNU utilities were ported to those systems.  Source
distributions were the most common way to distribute free software in
the 80's.

> And I've developed with quite old Unix systems, and it was quite usual
> to have runtime licences/systems which were just exorbitantly
> expensive and intended to be used for the boxes installed at the
> customer, and the development systems, which were bonecrushingly
> expensive.  Since the hardware was still more expensive, this was not
> that much of an issue: you would not have wanted to equip customer
> systems with the amount of RAM necessary for a development system,
> anyway.
>
> > And even when they were pre-linked, they were linked with libraries
> > that are normally available with with the OS, so the exception
> > applied.
>
> Static libraries are not "available with the OS" without a
> development system.

I was talking in the past tense -- about what it was like in the
mid-80's when GNU started and the GPL was written.  Most Unix systems
came with C compilers and full libraries.  Even now, many versions of
Unix that don't come with a compiler still have a linker and all the
standard Unix libraries.  Try "ls /usr/lib/lib*.a" on most Unix systems.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA