Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library

From: Alexander R. Pruss
Subject: Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library
Date: 26 May 2004 19:45:50 -0700

ap85@georgetown.edu (Alexander R. Pruss) wrote in message
news:<f601968d.0405260448.5c463ca5@posting.google.com>...
> Is my reading right?  The GPL FAQ doesn't help very much here.

I missed something in the FAQ:

"Q: I'm writing a Windows application with Microsoft Visual C++ (or
Visual Basic) and I will be releasing it under the GPL. Is dynamically
linking my program with the Visual C++ (or Visual Basic) run-time
library permitted under the GPL?  A: Yes, because that run-time
library normally accompanies the compiler or interpreter you are
using. "

This is about dynamic linking while I'm interested in static linking.
But the FSF thinks both equally create a derivative work (I am
inclined to disagree with them, though IANAL), and so the only way the
can consistently say the above is if they think VC++ and VB compilers
are major components of the OS.

Alex