Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:58:34 +0200

On 26 May 2004 12:35:04 -0400
byron@cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) wrote:

> -I'd like to distribute GPL code compiled with Borland's C compiler,
> -and statically linked with Borland's C library.  Is this permitted?
>
> No.

Enlighten me. The OP wants to distribute a binary in
addition to the source code of the GPLed product, if I
understand him correctly.
If he distributes the source alone, he's in the clear.
If he adds the binary (which is, after all, merely a
convenience for those who don't have a compiler, but
removes nothing from the version without the binary),
he suddenly runs foul of the GPL?

Seems daft to me.

--
Stefaan