Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and statically linking with non-GPL standard C library
Date: 27 May 2004 21:02:44 +0200

terekhov@web.de (Alexander Terekhov) writes:

> ap85@georgetown.edu (Alexander R. Pruss) wrote in message
> > I'd like to distribute GPL code compiled with Borland's C compiler,
> > and statically linked with Borland's C library.  Is this permitted?
>
> Yes. It is permitted by law.

No.  Redistribution of copyrighted material is not allowed by
copyright law without explicit permission.

> [...]
> > Would it make a difference if I used the newly released free Microsoft
> > C compiler and its libs?
>
> No.
>
> > It would be easier to make a case that it's
> > a part of the OS, no?
>
> That doesn´t matter. Not everything that the GPL says is lawful.

"lawful"?  The GPL is not a law.  The GPL is a permission.  The
relevant law is copyright law.  Copyright law does not permit you to
redistribute stuff, regardless with which compiler you compile and
which libraries you link it with.  The GPL states conditions under
which you are allowed to do so.  If it wanted to, it could state that
you may only distribute the code accompanied by at least 4 rabid rats.

What do you have to gain from willfully deceiving people about the
GPL and copyright law?  What is your agenda?

Who is your employer?