RE: GPL and MS DirectX DirectDraw

From: PrussianSnow
Subject: RE: GPL and MS DirectX DirectDraw
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 04:21:13 +0100

Thanks to Paul Jarc for his off list reply. I've found out some more myself as
well. I'll post a reply for the newsgroup archivers.

For anyone else scratching their head about this, I found some interesting
comments in the FSF's GPL FAQ. Specifically:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

The FSF seems to read the component clause to include dynamically linked
runtime libraries belonging to proprietary languages. I hadn't seen this put
down so clearly before by anyone let alone the FSF.

Now, I can put in an exception to specifically allow linking but then I can
never add any GPL licensed code unless I get the copyright holder(s) to agree
and endorse the disclaimer as well.

PrussianSnow