Re: GNU/Linux is perfect for corporate domination

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux is perfect for corporate domination
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:42:01 -0000

darkred@myway.com (Snuffelluffogus) writes:

> They say that the world is heading the way of global
> monopolies ;

Who is "they"?

> they say economists have warned that these monopolistic situations
> (defined as 4 or 5 firms controlling 50-60% of the products/services
> sold in a market) already exist in most domestic US markets ; and
> now, some global markets.

Who is "they"?

> The ignorant public, easily distracted by simple ideas repeated over
> and over,

Is that why you are repeating your simple ideas over and over?

> thinks in terms of an only one-company monopoly,

It does?  Care to back that up?

[...]

> Now that Linux, the smallest commercial venture of them all, has
> been hijacked by the likes of IBM and other monopolistic players,

Are we running a contest for the largest number of falsehoods per
line?

> the small-time punks who started Linux and the open source movement
> can be safely ignored;

It turns out that the particular small-time punk who started Linux
still has quite a bit to say about Linux development.

> maybe some will sell out entirely but who can trust them?

I'd pretty much trust any of them over a bile-foaming half-baked
pseudo-Marxist.  Not that I need to: the GPL guarantees that I can
take off from any point in the development line where I feel that
somebody started betraying my ideas about where Linux should be
heading.

> They are relics of a bygone era.

You should check who does the decisions about kernel processes
nowadays, and how they came to have the "power" to do so ("power"
because everybody is free to ignore them completely and do his own
development).  It is a network ruled surprisingly by trust and
competence.  Certainly much more than could be expected in a typical
corporate architecture.