Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:16:28 -0500

Alexander Terekhov writes:
> I say that in the scenario below I lawfully own ten copies of GNU
> readline...

You created ten copies of the GNU readline tarball by copying them from the
FSF Web site free of charge and with the copyright owner's permission.  The
first sale doctrine is about disposition of tangible copies purchased from
the copyright owner.

If you created ten copies of a CNN Web page do you think that the first
sale doctrine would give you the right to sell those copies?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)