Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:26:04 +0200

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:04:38 +0200
Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> wrote:

> I'm claiming that a tarball (lawfully downloaded from an FSF
> server, for example) isn't tangible property, but rather the
> medium on which it resides, is tangible. Thus, while the
> first sale doctrine applies to the disk/tape/CD on which
> the tarball resides so can be sold, stapled, folded or mutilated
> to the owner's heart's content, this does not necessarily
> apply to the tarball.

That's some contorted prose I managed to spout. Let's
try again:

I'm claiming that a lawfully downloaded tarball isn't
tangible property, but that the medium on which it
resides is that "tangible property". Thus, first sale
would apply to the medium, allowing the owner to sell,
staple, fold or mutilate it to his heart's content.
It would not necessarily apply to the tarball, as in
itself, it's not tangible property.

Slightly better, I hope.

--
Stefaan