Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:10:03 +0200

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:16:44 +0200
Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> [...]
> > As obviously the objective of all of this would be
> > to sell binaries without source,
>
> Without non-GPLed sources. Or with sources but not under the GPL
> (I mean non-GPLed modules). I see no problem in passing along the
> GPLed sources (including derivative works).

OK, avoiding the GPL but still using the code, even
though is is against the wishes of the author. I get
your drift.

> >                                  compiling the "ripped"
> > file or code would create a derivative work,
>
> Compilers and linkers don't create derivative works. Binary
> object code is just another form of the copyrighted source
> code.

Then it is a copy, which you cannot distribute without
accepting the GPL.

> > Care to explain how you manage to avoid making copies
>
> Under your logic, I can't even read the GPL sources (from the
> GNU readline's tarball) without "accepting" the GPL. Get a clue.

Now how did you jump to that conclusion? I've never
said that you weren't entitled to make copies, but
that in order to distribute copies of a GPLed work,
you need to accept the GPL. Your scheme of invoking
first sale only works if you manage to avoid making
copies - a right not granted by first sale. It would
seem that whatever you do, you cannot avoid making
at least one copy, thus you cannot distribute.
End of story.

--
Stefaan