Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The worst that can happen to GPLed code
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:10:25 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> As long as you can convince a court and jury of your crackpot
> theories, fine.  There is no empirical evidence for that, however.

I let you go first, dak. Here's one more "potential target".

http://www.acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=53&page=7

<quote>

The TiVo Client Device is of necessity a closed system. As a service
provider, we must prevent theft of service, so TiVo pays a great deal
of attention to security of the device and resistance to hacking.
Additionally, we sell the TCD at a price that provides a net margin
to retailers, but no profit to us. Our profits come from providing
service to each device over time, rather than from up-front costs.

For this reason, it is important that the devices not be re-purposed
and that our software not be replaced with other implementations of
DVR functionality. Thus, hardware drivers are kept as proprietary
sources and are built as loadable modules. Our interpretation of the
GPL is that such use is permitted; we are careful to separate these
modules from the Linux kernel sources to avoid any confusion. In
fact, as has been demonstrated by the very active TiVo hacking
community, it is possible to take our published sources, build a
Linux kernel, and load it on some versions of the TCD. The kernel
will run properly, loading the proprietary modules and executing
the TiVo application, thus staying within the GPL spirit.

This use is somewhat controversial. Advocates of the GPL and the
Free Software Foundation interpret the GPL more stringently to
disallow the use of proprietary modules.

</quote>