Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)

From: GhostMaster
Subject: Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:05:14 GMT

e71p@yahoo.com wrote:
: I had an interview today where I was told that, because I had
: coded so much for Unix/Linux and only a couple years for Windows
: that I had to "change [my] religion" to Windows. I said, in
: as polite a tone as possible, "well it's not really a religion,
: it's just an OS; and I'm pretty much agnostic about OSes".
: But that wasn't enough, the dingbat manager was apparently quite
: serious and didn't believe that I could convert away from my
: Unix-and-Linux religion -- he didn't believe I was agnostic --
: to Windoze. He even mentioned that "at least" I didn't have any
: Java on my resume -- that would have been pure heresy it seems.
: But I even resorted to praising Windows despite the fact that I
: commonly watch Explorer crash under XP Pro after certain operations.
: Granted
: the kernel itself stays running...just don't install Visual C++!
: I must say I find it pathetic and stupid that people get wrapped up
: in their little operating systems. It's not just the interviewer: the
: bickering
: that goes on in Usenet is just the same, with Linux advocates trying
: to insult 'less pious' Linux users and Windows zealots making insipid
: childish attacks. The disdain that self-promoted gurus and experts
: have for the public only shows their hubris. And of course anyone
: who questions open source is automatically a heretic--the enemy.
: And all this religious childishness is over what, a stupid box of
: circuits sitting on your desk? Why the hell care? These people need
: to get a LIFE.

I get told the same thing.  I have a website that boast All OS's.  I even
have a few Mac users.  But no Mac info to date because the users barely know
how to fix errors on their Macs, and are not ready to write tutors on it.  I
get told I am either for one OS or the other.  None think I might be for
both.  It's not in their vocabulary.  I don't care.  I have a Linux box and
a Windows box, and I enjoy both of them.  As for the ones that want to put
my website down and call me a conspirator, that's their opinion.  I would
never ever work for a company that told me I had to choose one over the
other.  Besides they are in for a huge culture shock.  In a few years I
expect that Windows won't have the market, and entering a store to buy a
computer, or working for a business will mean you will have to know the ins
and outs of both.  You will have a choice to purchase both, or all.    Isn't
that great!   No bickering!