Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)

From: Klaus von der Heyde
Subject: Re: Operating systems are not religions (you fools)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:48:11 +0200

Ruel Smith wrote:

>> 17-inch 1.5 GHz laptop from apple $2800
>> 17-inch 2.8 GHz laptop from sony $2100
>
> However, I do agree that you pay a premium for a closed system that you
> don't have much opportunity to upgrade on you own.

The upgrade options of almost any laptop I know of are very limited.
There used to be some available with exchangable cpus, but the high
integration of today's systems makes this nearly impossible.

> I'd prefer to build my
> own system based on Intel/AMD for a lot less.

Agreed, for any computer for non-mobile use. PowerPC-boards are a
lot more diffucult to get, but they are available, too. Free
Software allows for more choice on the processor side, without
being stuck to one platform with precompiled proprietary binaries.

Klaus