Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice and the statement of copying

From: Carthik
Subject: Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice and the statement of copying permission not being included in all the source files of a product.
Date: 30 Jun 2004 23:14:24 -0700

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
> The product is licenced under whatever licence you received it under.
> For publicly accessible downloads, it is a reasonable assumption that
> files with a GPL header are licenced to you under the GPL.

If there is a license.txt in teh bundle, and no GPL copyright
statements or anything else related to GPL in the individual source
files, is the product (bundle) GPLed, are the source files GPLed? I
want to know if the product I received and the source files that
constitute the product are GPLed. Maybe that's a better way of
describing my question.

> No, but it is prudent.
The No is puzzling, cause if you do not mention anything about the GPL
in the source files (all of them) then what "part" of the product _is_
GPLed?

> The product is under the licence you received it under.  If nothing
> has been specified explicitly and no reasonably assumption in the form
> of a licence file or licence header exists, there is no reason for you
> to assume the GPL.

My question is, to repeat myself, If a bundle (Tar file if you will),
includes a GPL license document, but none of the source files in the
bundle do, is the product GPLed, are the source files GPLed?

Thank you for the answer, and I hope to have my questions cleared :)