Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice and the statement of copying

From: Carthik
Subject: Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice and the statement of copying permission not being included in all the source files of a product.
Date: 30 Jun 2004 23:17:44 -0700

Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote in message
> No. What you've got is a bunch of literary works (distributed as
> bundle). For example, a "software product" may contain unbundled
> stuff taken from the D. J. Bernstein's djbdns*** bundle PLUS some
> GPL'ed stuff and something taken from the public domain.

Thanks for the reply, Alexander, but if _all_ the source files in the
bundle have no copyright statement or "statement of usage", but the
bundle does have an included license.txt (GPL) and the project
homepage claims that the product is released under the GPL, is the
product under GPL (since none of the source code is?) Where does that
leave me, I mean, Can I put a copyright on the source and say it's
mine, or violate GPL for this product?

> ***) http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/djbdns-1.05.tar.gz
Interesting example :)

Thanks again,