Re: i bought a walmart cheapie

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: i bought a walmart cheapie
Date: 02 Jul 2004 18:04:23 +0200

nobody@nowhere.com writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Ivan Marsh <annoyed@you.now> wrote:
> : On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:45:04 +0000, nobod wrote:
>
> :> Even Outlook and IE are perfectly safe on a properly admined system.
>
> : Properly admined system: locked in closet, turned off.
>
> Sounds like a challenge to me!
>
> Point me to ANY executable ( "virus", web script- anything ) that
> can harm a properly admined Windows system.

You mean like the Russian Web site distributing viruses by buffer
overflow in the image code of IE?  That was shut down after hijacking
a number of computers?

Ok, this is maybe not really fair since this particular security hole
was not really very Windows-specific.  However, to exploit something
like that seriously under Linux requires a privilege escalation in
addition to the buffer overflow.

Actually, the number of IE-related holes is such that the CERT has
recently recommended not running IE at all.  It is pretty
unprecedented that a recommended recourse was completely abandoning
the use of some software.  And it is not that IE is completely
unrelated to Windows...