Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:50:20 +0200

Haakon Riiser wrote:
[...]
> I haven't personally read it yet, but I'll do so ASAP.  If this
> is the case for our license, we have to consider if it's even
> worth bothering with WMV9. :-(  I can't even believe why they
> would do such a thing -- are they afraid of getting infected by
> the GPL license in some way?  Do they mention the GPL specifically?

Potentially viral software. That's all history. MS went CPL (for
at least two projects) recently. And the GPL isn't viral. Your
lawyer is correct (but he should have mentioned that the scope
of the "derivative work" (after modifications/transformations)
doesn't encompass independent works/sections (the GPL just can't
cross API/module boundaries) even if they are "combined" with the
derivative stuff.