Re: LGPL or GPL+"plugins welcome" ?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: LGPL or GPL+"plugins welcome" ?
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:15:15 +0200

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:11:24 +0200
> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
>
> > The kernel is licensed under the GPL without any exceptions.
>
> Actually, not quite (though they're more clarifications than
> real exceptions). The file "COPYING" at the top of the 2.4.18 kernel
> source tree says:

Linus' "clarifications" apply only to Linus's work and no one else's
work (unless it's clearly stated by the copyright owner). What he said
doesn't override the GPL terms. Consider for example /kernel/futex.c:

/*
 *  Fast Userspace Mutexes (which I call "Futexes!").
 *  (C) Rusty Russell, IBM 2002
 *
 *  Generalized futexes, futex requeueing, misc fixes by Ingo Molnar
 *  (C) Copyright 2003 Red Hat Inc, All Rights Reserved
 *
 *  Removed page pinning, fix privately mapped COW pages and other cleanups
 *  (C) Copyright 2003 Jamie Lokier
 *
 *  Thanks to Ben LaHaise for yelling "hashed waitqueues" loudly
 *  enough at me, Linus for the original (flawed) idea, Matthew
 *  Kirkwood for proof-of-concept implementation.
 *
 *  "The futexes are also cursed."
 *  "But they come in a choice of three flavours!"
 *
 *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 *  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 *  (at your option) any later version.
 *
 *  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 *  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 *  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *  GNU General Public License for more details.
 *
 *  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
 *  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 *  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 */

It doesn't say anything at all about "COPYING file at the top".