Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: 06 Jul 2004 16:55:00 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
> > So you prefer falling over backwards and recommending recklessness.
>
> I truly believe that "my" interpretation should prevail in court of
> law.

"should" and "is likely to" are two different things.  It is foolish
to do things according to what one feel "should" happen in court, and
reckless to suggest to others to do so.

> All the counter arguments I've seen over the years are neither
> economically nor morally sound.

Tough.  What counts is what the judges and juries will decide on.  Not
that people are too fond of being battered with expensive injunctions
and being dragged before court in the first place (what is what you
are recommending by promulgating interpretations of the law that are
clearly not shared by the copyright holders), but they are also likely
to lose there when following your advice.  Which is the reason that
most licence violations are settled out of court.