Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:12:45 +0100

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 21:31 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Tim Smith wrote:
> [...]
> > Start with Sega vs. Accolade.
>
> Kernel GPL-nazis aside for a moment, Linus should also read it.

Anti-GPL religious fanatics should understand that reverse engineering
is different from using software with a certain license that imposes
certain conditions for redistribution and recasting.

> mean his silly rambling*** against "GPL\0 I love you" (or something
> like that ;-) ) trick to bypass EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL idiocy.

That's not idiocy. They don't render binary modules useless. It's the
nature of the way Linux works that makes them normally useless with each
new release.

The EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL serves mainly to protect the Linux programmers
against bug reports made by people who subject themselves to draconian
licensing schemes in order to get a binary driver to fulfill some
[tipically] petty need.

Rui