Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:03:15 +0200

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> > > You're including them into your work. The only proof of otherwise, is
> > > removing that #include and see if it all works as expected.
>
> Do not forget that you link with -lsomelib at compile time.

Legally it's the same as tar/jar/zip/...'ing together the source code
(resolution of symbols to offsets notwithstanding) or lib'ing a bunch
of object files together. If you have a corresponding map, you can even
"separate" the executable/recreate individual object files. But again,
assume that I don't distribute any object code at all. How could a
tarball of GPL'ed and non-GPL'ed components (in source code) possibly
trigger "GPL incompatibility"?