Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: 12 Jul 2004 11:25:54 +0200

demon2020@hotmail.com (Shadu) writes:

> My software makes a system call (with a command line that I built) to
> run the ClamWin Free Antivirus,
> which is licensed under the GNU General Public License.
>
> The following components form ClamWin Free Antivirus I will use
> (Without modify):
>
> - clamscan.exe
> - cygbz2-1.dll
> - cyggmp-3.dll
> - cygwin1.dll (Cygwin POSIX Emulation DLL)
> - cygz.dll
>
> Clam AV Database:
> - daily.cvd
> - main.cvd
>
> To make my software work, I will build an interface using Visual
> Basic, My software will makes a system call (with a command line
> that I built) to run the ClamWin Free Antivirus.  My software also
> makes a system call (with a command line that I built) to an
> antivirus program which I program using VC and distribute as
> freeware (Not Open Source Code).

If what you call "make a system call" is just a command line call,
then it is pretty much established that command line calls imply you
are using the software, not deriving from it.

> Is it legal to distribute the software? Is it legal to upload the
> software to my web site and share with others?

As long as you distribute the GPLed software itself with source (or
make provisions like outlined in the GPL) and possibly all necessary
scripts/configurations to compile it in the same manner as you did,
yes.