Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:07:51 +0100

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 23:14 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Well, that's what you wrote (in reply to me):
>
> ----
> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 14:25 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > purely source code distribution. How can an aggregation of the
> > CPL'ed and the GPL'ed stuff (e.g. in a tarball) possibly
> > trigger "GPL incompatibility"?
>
> Because it's not the mere aggregation on a tarball.
> It's when it's impossible for one to exist without the other.
> ----
>
> I'll take it that now you confess that your claim was utter nonsense.
> Do your "maxi"-me and his "pro bono"-me also agree with your new
> position? (That would be really nice and would really surprise me.)

I'll take it that either my expression wasn't clear enough, or that you
just don't understand english well enough to justify any of your
opinions.

Hoping for the best, I try to make my self clearer to you.

Adding A (GPL'ed) and B (proprietary) on a tarball:

   tar czvf A+B.tar.gz A B

So that A+B is the mere collection (aggregation) of two works and not a
single new work, then that would not be a copyright infringement.

But if the work is really C=B+A (one work), then it has to be GPL'ed
since A is GPL'ed.

If you don't want that, don't use A. Write another implementation of the
same underlying ideas that is compatible with B.

Rui