Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:23:34 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> Just for the record, I mentioned this once already: dynamic linking
> enters a lot of binary addresses into a program, making it an image
> in memory that is completely dependent and "linked" with the library
> in question.  Calling dlopen from inside of a module to load a
> library and call its functions explicitly instead of by linking
> doesn't.

So what? Linking (both static and dynamic) is the same as framing
and mounting.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/125_F3d_580.htm

<quote>

If the framing process does not create a derivative work, then
mounting [...] does not create a derivative work. What is more,
the ninth circuit erred in assuming that normal means of
mounting and displaying art are easily reversible. A painting
is placed in a wooden "stretcher" as part of the framing
process; this leads to some punctures (commonly tacks or
staples), may entail trimming the edges of the canvas, and may
affect the surface of the painting as well. Works by Jackson
Pollock are notoriously hard to mount without damage, given the
thickness of their paint. As a prelude to framing, photographs,
prints, and posters may be mounted on stiff boards using wax
sheets, but sometimes glue or another more durable substance is
employed to create the bond.

</quote>

> While this is a fine line, it is obviously thick enough to have caused
> RMS to refuse letting a module loader (which would have used dlopen)
> be put into Emacs because he thinks that in that case
> Emacs/proprietary combinations could become more legally viable than
> desirable.

Yeah. I know quite well that RMS is amusingly insane.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=40320716.E5FF569C%40web.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=403344E5.E7872D34%40web.de

He and his "pro bono"-me counsel can't even grasp the difference
between "derivative works" and "compilations" (collective works
including).