Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 02:46:10 -0500

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 05:44:04 -0000,
<telford@xenon.triode.net.au> <telford@xenon.triode.net.au> wrote:

> I do NOT want my work that I release under GPL to provide support
> for other work that is not under GPL either as a derivative work
> OR as a collective work. What possible reason would I have for
> wanting such a thing? I want the best possible protection for my
> work, and I believe I have the right to at least as much protection
> as anyone else is getting (including Microsoft, Apple, Sony, etc).

You want that project legitimately, but you don't want the implications
that come with invoking that protection.  That may not be possible.
Microsoft accomplishes it by telling users what they can and cannot
link to on their own systems.  Sony accomplishes it by using encryption
and invoking the DMCA.

Isaac