Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: Graham Murray
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:00:01 +0100

Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@1407.org> writes:

> Sure hardware has software logic (usually immutable), but hardware is a
> physical device with builtin logic. Just that. No software is derivable
> from hardware since they're of two completely different classes.

I would disagree. If there exists a machine which uses relays or
pneumatic values or some other hardware mechanism which performs some
function and someone writes a computer program which uses the same
'logic' to perform the same function that I am sure that the software
is a derivative work of the hardware machine.