Re: Questions on proprietary program using gcc libraries

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Questions on proprietary program using gcc libraries
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 06:07:24 -0400

In article <cun7jt033ro.fsf@zero-based.org>,
 Martin Dickopp <expires-2004-08-31@zero-based.org> wrote:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > "jim.brown" <jim.brown@mindspring.com> writes:
> >
> >> I've searched this forum and did not find any guidance.
> >>
> >> I am building a proprietary shared library with gcc. The normal
> >> C++ runtime routines (memcpy etc.) are dynamically linked.
>
> "memcpy" is not part of the C++ standard library, but part of the
> C standard library.  Which license applies to the latter is likely
> different on the two systems mentioned.  The GNU C library, found
> on GNU/Linux systems, is under the LGPL, but I have no idea how the
> Solaris C library is licensed.

If the program will work with any standard-conforming C/C++ library,
then it's not considered a derivative of any particular one (unless it's
statically linked with that specific library).  So as long as the
programmer avoids using functions that only exist in the GNU version of
the library, there shouldn't be any issue at all.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA